I am an Associate Professor at the Department of Demography and a researcher at CEDEPLAR at the University Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), since 2006. This is my home on the web. This website has links to my CV, my research and other resources. I plan on having a collection of links to both demographic and non-demographic resources. In the near future, I will have a version of this site in Portuguese.
You can find a link to my CV in Portuguese here, and to my CV in English PDF here. Lista of publications with links are available under Publications. My ORCID. My Research Gate profile is available here and my Google Scholar site here.
I hold a Ph.D. in Demography from the University of California at Berkeley (2005). I specialize in economic demography, population aging, and mortality and health. I also have strong interests in demographic methods, indirect techniques, and regional and urban economics. Currently, my research is centered on two main topicis: a) studying how demographic changes are related to the changes in the labor market in developing countries. In particular, I am studying retirement trends, changes in occupation over time and across cohorts and how changes in the composition of the labor force impacts on the performance of different age groups; and b) small-area mortality estimation with defective data. In this project, we combine traditional demographic methods – death distribution methods – to bayesian statistics to produce estimates of life expectancy at the city level.
Together with Tim Riffe from the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research and Everton Lima from NEPO-Unicamp, we developed a package for R to estimate completeness of death counts coverage using Death Distribution Methods. The package and instructions are available here.
I am working with Piedad Urdinola on a research project to build a human mortality database for Latin American countries (more info here). The web-site aims at disseminating human mortality data and literature of human mortality in Latin America, in order to provide detailed information for researchers, students, policy makers and the general public interested in knowing trends and developments in the study of mortality in the region.
I am also part of the NTA Project. The aim of the project is to provide estimates of economic flows across age groups that arise primarily because children and the elderly consume more than they produce relying on reallocations from the working ages. NTA accounts distinguish the forms of these flows: as the accumulation of capital, as transfers, and as credit transactions. The accounts distinguish the institutions that mediate the transactions: governments, markets, and families. The web-site for the NTA Brazil can be found here.
- Queiroz, B.L; Souza, L.R. “Retirement Incentives and Couple’s Retirement Decisions in Brazil”. The Journal of the Economics of Ageing, Vol. 9, n.1, 2017. (paper in english)
- Queiroz, B.; Lima, E., Freire, F., Gonzaga, M. “Completeness of death-count coverage and adult mortality (45q15) for Brazilian States from 1980-2010” Revista Brasileira de Epidemiologia, vol. 20, suppl. 1, pp. 21-33, 2017 (paper)
- Queiroz, . L .B. “Public Pensions, Economic Development, and the Labor Force Participation of Older Adults in Latin America in 1990-2010”. International Journal of Population Studies, vol.3, no. 1, pp.121-137, 2017 (link for paper )
- Amaral, E ; Queiroz, B L ; Calazans, J.A. . Demographic changes, educational improvements, and earnings in Brazil and Mexico. IZA Journal of Labor & Development, v. 4, p. 23, 2015. (paper in english)
- Lima, E C ; Tomas, M. C. ; Queiroz, B L . The Sandwich Generation in Brazil: demographic determinants and implications. Revista Latinoamericana de Población, v. 16, p. 59-74, 2015. (paper in english)
- Lima, E C ; Queiroz, B L . Evolution of the deaths registry system in Brazil: associations with changes in the mortality profile, under-registration of death counts, and ill-defined causes of death. Cadernos de Saúde Pública (ENSP. Impresso), v. 30, p. 1721-1730, 2014 (paper in english)